Thursday, January 21, 2010

beds and brighton


A bed is something that really means a lot to me. After all, it is where I spend the majority of my life. It's a friend that's always there, comfort when tired, a space for dreaming...You see, the bed is really an extension of my personality. The same traits I look for in a good bed can easily be used to describe myself: warm, fluffy, soft, gentle, cosy, etc. My bed here at Sussex? If my bed could be exemplified as a person it would be Hitler. Instead of springs I think the mattress just has aluminium cans in it. It really blows, its been so hard for me to get a good nights sleep on the thing. Once I roll out of the thing in the morning...afternoon...ok evening, my entire neck and back aches for the remainder of the day. So yeah, just wanted to get that out of the way, I figured the condition of my bed was something everyone was musing about back home.

This week hasn't been too exciting. I've been doing some of my work, attending some of my classes, so that has been a positive break from the past. Most of my days have been spent sitting around reading the news, reading for class, or watching random things online. Then at night I've been smoking and hanging out at the east slope bar on campus. I did have a rather interesting adventure a couple days ago when I went into Brighton on my lonesome to do some shopping. Every time I had been in Brighton it had been night and I was heavily intoxicated, so it really doesn't make sense to me yet. I just got off at a random bus stop and went into the first grocery store I found, since my main objective was food. I bought what felt like about 50 pounds of food which I then had to lug around in my backpack for the rest of my journey. My other main objectives were an alarm clock and a pillow. I found this really cheap piece of crap analog alarm clock in a convenience store and a pillow in the 99 pence store, which is like their dollar store, except for me it's like the $1.61 store. Overall this trek through Brighton must have involved me walking a good few miles all over the city. Eventually I was quite exhausted and recognized one of the bars that was part of the pub crawl last week, so I went in to reward myself with a good meal and drink. While waiting for my barbecue chicken, complete with melted cheese and bacon, I was trying to put a battery in my little alarm clock. I proceeded to drop it, and it broke apart into many pieces that scattered throughout the bar. That was pretty embarrassing, I must have looked like a crazy homeless person sitting by myself with a full backpack, a pillow, and the cheapest alarm clock you have ever seen. People eating stoped to return the pieces to me and I was actually able to re-assemble it and get it in working order. Exhausted, I finally find the right bus stop and took a bus back to Sussex.

Random notes. I bought an 8th of weed the other day that was very low quality. For those interested, I've included a picture of this. It's a sad sight indeed.



Luckily, the lack of smoking has led to my tolerance lowering, so it still does the job, just a shitty job.

Also, why so many coins England? Pound, two pounds, one pence, five pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, 50 pence...i just have this ever growing pile on my desk of useless coins.

This is interesting. In England, you have to pay a special license just to own a tv (I didn't bring one). Well I found this letter under my door the other day. Apparently it's not something I should worry about...



Lastly, I would like to leave you readers out there with a message and a song (this was once a music blog). The song is one I have been listening to quite a lot latley and I'm hoping to see them in Brighton. It's some low-fi garage punk for everyone's enjoyment! But remember kids:







No comments: